Friday 7 September 2007

On Biblical Inerrancy

I've started reading Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology: an Introduction to Biblical Doctrine. In it I find a compelling case for biblical inerrancy.

I also found reference to THE CHICAGO STATEMENT ON BIBLICAL INERRANCY. He had also referred to this in one of his talks to which I have referred below. More on the The Chicago Statement here.

Interestingly, well-known Anglican theologian, J. I. Packer was one of the people involved in developing the statement, as were Francis Schaeffer and R. C. Sproul.

Sadly, my denomination has lost its way in this area. Our methods of deciding what is, or is not, permissible and faithful to the teaching of Scripture, are such that, as the Chicago Statement states,
the Bible that God gave loses its authority, and what has authority instead is a Bible reduced in content according to the demands of one's critical reasoning and in principle reducible still further once one has started. This means that at bottom independent reason now has authority, as opposed to Scriptural teaching.

Read the whole statement here.

No comments:

Post a Comment