Tuesday 1 July 2008

On Being Tempted to Take the Off Rant this Canada Day

I am surprised how upset I feel about Henry Morgentaler being awarded the Order of Canada. The citation reads:
For his commitment to increased health care options for women, his determined efforts to influence Canadian public policy and his leadership in humanist and civil liberties organizations.
I just can't get around the fact that those "increased health care options for women" are at the expense of the civil liberties and lives of so many defenseless, voiceless little human beings. It just does not compute.

One comment caught my eye over at Andrew Potter's Maclean's blog. The writer stated that:
I also find it so interesting that males are so vehemently obsessed when they are not the child bearers.
Well, I am a man. I don't think I'm "vehemently obsessed," but I am profoundly saddened that those who supposedly represent my country have chosen to do this on this Canada Day. They do not represent me.

I'm not a child bearer, but I know and love quite a few who are equally dismayed at this award.

So it really is children, then, who are being aborted? How can someone receive the Order of Canada for promoting that?

Another commenter at the aforementioned blog wrote:
I am sick. I will never celebrate Canada Day again. It is no longer my country.
I understand how he feels.

1 comment:

  1. I totally share your disheartenment and frustration. As a Canadian resident in the US, I feel betrayed by my country. The news entirely took the joy out of Canada Day for me.

    ReplyDelete