Thursday 19 March 2009

On "Here I Stand, I Can Do No Other"

I follow Mark Driscoll's blog over at The Resurgence. He's been doing a series on various theological topics…short pieces from a reformed Calvinist perspective. Martin Luther is the subject of today's post. Driscoll quotes Luther's response when he was called upon to recant his reformed views:
Unless I can be instructed and convinced with evidence from the Holy Scriptures or with open, clear, and distinct grounds of reasoning . . . then I cannot and will not recant, because it is neither safe nor wise to act against conscience. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me! Amen.
That would be my challenge to Anglican leaders who are advocating doctrinal revision around the authority of Scripture and sexuality: instruct and convince me with evidence from the Holy Scriptures or with open, clear and distinct grounds of reasoning.


Instead, the tools of Anglican instruction and convincing I read about are changed locks, lifted licences, punitive litigation,  and name-calling.

God help us, indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Add to that denying the existence of previous Bishops who don't agree with you

    ReplyDelete