Saturday 18 June 2011

Church and the Contemporary Ideology of Choice

Something that stood out for me in a collection of "doodlings" over at Faith and Theology:
In the wilderness the devil tempts Jesus with a series of choices. By the seaside Jesus says to four fishermen “Follow me!”, an order, not an option. Nothing is more alien to serious Christianity than the contemporary ideology of choice. 
 …from Faith and Theology: A few more doodlings.

Shades of one of my little lists in my earlier post from Reformissionary on congregational government being of Satan.

Interesting who offers the choice and who offers the life (where have I heard that before?).

The church is part of a Kingdom. We didn't elect Jesus to be head of the church. The Bible is not like a constitution and by-laws which can be amended when we feel it's impinging on our appetites.

The older I get the more I realize that following Jesus is not as much about me and my appetites and preferences as it is following orders and being who he calls me to be, where he calls me to be that.

No comments:

Post a Comment