Friday 16 May 2014

Some Things I Have Learned as the Priest’s Wife and a Member of a Worshipping Community: Wisdom from Jude in the Eastertide Edition of "The Encourager"

It’s not all about me. It’s not all about you, either. It’s all about Jesus.

The church family contains every type of human being – the good, the bad and the ugly. The ugly are sometimes the most beautiful people.

Generalizations are nasty, and usually false. 

The priest’s wife does not need to play the organ or teach Sunday school to have a valid ministry in the church family.

The priest’s wife is expected to know everything, repeat nothing and attend everything.  

Although pews in church are not reserved, there is some ownership of seats, and people can be uncomfortable if one sits in their space.

Bible study is a joy and a delight. Preparing the Prayers of the People is too. So is doing the rosters. And playing the bells.

Worship looks and sounds different in different parts of the church.

Jesus commands me to love everyone. Like is different from love.

Everyone can do something – even the most ‘unlikely’ person.

Many people in the church family work very hard for the Lord. Some do not. 

I must do what the Lord calls me to do. Anything else is a waste of my time, and other people’s. 

I was behind the door when the Lord handed out patience.

When I pray for patience, the Lord always gives me plenty of opportunities to practice it. I keep forgetting that.

No-one is perfect, not me, not Gene, no follower of Jesus. Jesus is perfect, I am forgiven – often!

Being in church leadership is full of faith-building moments. Also moments of deep disappointment, anger and frustration. Thank you, Lord, for you.

God always shows up when invited.

God does not always show up to church events.

Gene’s loving, valuing and encouraging me has allowed me to be comfortable in my own skin.

Fussing about my age is a form of spiritual pride.

Ill health does not make me, or anyone else, more interesting.

Advice-giving is a sin.  Listening is a God-given grace.

Criticism is a gift some people think God has given to them. Sometimes I am one of them.
The church family is a source of much kindness and caring. Some people are a wonderful example to follow.

I have learned a lot. I still have lots to learn.

Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to serve you. Thank you, St Barnabas, for teaching and blessing me.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment