Wednesday 18 June 2014

Meeting Waterloo Again

Battle of Waterloo - William Sadler(1782-1839)
Today is the 199th anniversary of the battle of Waterloo, fought on The Fourth Sunday after Trinity 1815 (if my math is correct—Easter Sunday was March 26th). It was the battle in which the Duke of Wellington finally defeated Napoleon. The battle was significant enough that its very name has become part of English phraseology. To "meet your Waterloo" is to be overcome by your ultimate challenge.

20mm Airfix Napoleon's Polish Lancers I Painted In My War Gaming Days

Yet "It was a near run thing," the Duke of Wellington said about it afterwards, "The nearest run thing you ever saw in your life." Another participant, when asked about his experience of the battle, said, "I'll be hanged if I know anything about the matter for all day I was trodden upon and ridden over by every scoundrel who had a horse." A close call. Touch and go. Trodden upon and ridden over yet victorious.

Where have I heard that before?


No comments:

Post a Comment