Sunday 7 June 2015

Emily's Confirmation


Emily, our granddaughter, was confirmed today. Each of the newly confirmed gave a short testimony at the celebratory lunch afterwards. Here's what Emily said:
Over this time that I have been doing confirmation classes I started to know a lot more about everyone, and we have all become like a little family. I started this journey knowing little to none about what confirmation was, but with the help of Claude, Rob and Danielle I have learned new things. Some things that I have learned about God are he will be there right beside me when I am sad or scared. When I am going through hard times he knows, and he will send people to comfort and care for me.
Through confirmation God has given me my own identity in the church, and has given me the gifts of the Holy Spirit to help me find my role in the church. Right now I am feeling called to help in children's ministry such as worship centre and the summer program.
The big question at the beginning of my confirmation classes was "Who are you?" This is the last thing that I need to talk about. To me I see my journey of discovering myself starting right now, and there is so much to learn. Some things that I have learned about myself are that to help strengthen and further my faith I think still having our weekly confirmation classes would be wonderful. I feel like these classes have helped me in reaching out to God, and I have learned that I really do enjoy them. Also that I feel that I can understand a lot better when God is calling to me. I feel he has been doing that a lot more since I started confirmation classes. Confirmation is me going out on my own and accepting my place in the body of Christ, as my parents did on my behalf at my baptism. As Saint Paul said in his first letter to the Corinthians “Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is part of it.” (1 Corinthians 12:27)
My assessment may well be influenced by being a proud and grateful grandfather, but I believe those words show remarkable spiritual maturity and awareness in a thirteen year old. Good job Emily, Kate, Stewart, Claude, Danielle, Rob, +Rob and people of St Mary's.

No comments:

Post a Comment