Friday 12 February 2016

Leaning Into Lent: Day 3—Facing into Delight

Morning Prayer this morning:
…judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness and according to the integrity that is in me. [Psalm 7:8 (ESV)]
Well, that’s me hooped for a start. If I am to be judged for my own righteousness and according to my own integrity or innocence I am lost. It’s Jesus’ righteousness, integrity and innocence that saves me. I must lean on him. That’s what Holy Lents are for. To make sure I’m leaning in the right direction. I either lean into Jesus and am saved or I fall over.

In Jeremiah’s day, most people leaned away.
You have rejected me, declares the Lord; you keep going backward. [Jeremiah 15:6 (ESV)]
…and they fell over into disaster and exile. Most people in our world still lean away from the God and Father of our Lord Jesus. They do so out of fear, ignorance, simple carelessness, or wilful resistance. I, also, can lose my balance and lean away by giving in to this disordered appetite or that. Instead of growing and moving closer to Jesus, I go backwards, listing to one side or the other.

The reading and meditating on the Word of God part of Holy Lent observation is particularly helpful for keep me upright and heading in the right direction. It also a joy:
Your words were found, and I ate them,
and your words became to me a joy
and the delight of my heart,
for I am called by your name,
O Lord, God of hosts. [Jeremiah 15:16 (ESV)]
Leaning into a Holy Lent keeps me facing into delight.


No comments:

Post a Comment