Thursday 18 February 2016

Leaning Into Lent: Day 8—Crossroads

Rich illustrative references to the Spirit of God in Daily Prayer today. He is The One we invoke when we pray and who empowers and sanctifies our Lenten leaning. Not only is his Spirit Holy, according to the liturgy, he is also bountiful, gracious, and kindly. He is also to be obeyed.

Lenten disciplines develop obedience. They help me discern the Holy Spirit’s direction in my life. Why is that important? Because of all the crossroads in my life:
Stand at the crossroads, and look,
   and ask for the ancient paths,
where the good way lies; and walk in it,
   and find rest for your souls.
But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.’ (Jer 9.16 NRSV)
My Holy Spirit led lenten self examination helps me to look carefully and navigate those crossroads safely. Observing an Holy Lent leads me down those good and ancient paths.

No longer straying like a sheep I can return to Jesus, the shepherd and guardian of my soul (A Song of Christ the Servant, v 5), as he lifts up the lowly and fills the hungry with good things (The Magnificat, vv 5 & 6). So can you.

No comments:

Post a Comment