Wednesday 2 March 2016

Leaning Into Lent: Day 19—Blown Wide Open


A week today, Lord willing, I’m going with Anthony, my son, and some friends to see Ian Fletcher Thornley (lately of the band Big Wreck) in concert in Calgary. I admire his guitar playing. Today I happened across one of his songs on YouTube. It’s called Blown Wide Open on his SECRETS album. I enjoyed it so I looked up the lyrics. Here’s a sample:

So I'm all surrounded
By the things I thought I put away…
And there's a pile in the closet
That's where I threw some yesterday
Maybe under the rug
That's where I swept some the other day
So the mess is drawing forces
Outside I hear them say
Just come out with your hands up
So we can blow you away
And I walk out the door
Get blown wide open
By the things I put away
And I wasn't even warned
Just blown wide open
Now the mess is where I lay

I was fascinated by how closely Thornley’s lyrics align with the sentiments in Morning Prayer’s Psalm 38 today. David describes a very similar state of affairs:  
3 There is no health in my flesh

because of your indignation; 
there is no peace in my bones because of my sin.

4 For my iniquities have gone over my head; 

their weight is a burden too heavy to bear. R

5 My wounds stink and fester 

because of my foolishness.

6 I am utterly bowed down and brought very low.

I go about mourning all the day long. 

7 My loins are filled with searing pain;

There is no health in my flesh. 

8 I am feeble and utterly crushed;

I roar aloud because of the disquiet of my heart.
I was also fascinated by how closely the character's dilemma in Thornley's song resembles my, and probably your, struggle with sin. If I allow them to, my sins pile up, not only in my closet and under the rug, but completely over my head! My foolishness and carelessness cause them to stink and fester. I am brought very low, there is searing pain, “the mess” draws forces and gathers dark energy with The Enemy’s help until one day, unless I take action, I’m called out, blown wide open and away.  Not a happy ending. 

The solution? Unlike the character in Thornley's song, I've been warned. So have you. The honest self examination of a Holy Lent which brings everything out of the closet and from under the rug into the light of day so they can be confessed, repented of and any evil or toxic forces “the mess” has drawn are rendered harmless. 


No comments:

Post a Comment