Thursday 10 March 2016

Leaning Into Lent: Day 26—More or Less…

Leaning into Lent orders my leanings aright. Observing the Lenten spiritual disciplines helps me to trust in the LORD with more and more of my heart so I will lean less and less on my own understanding. There are benefits. As I acknowledge the LORD in more and more of my ways; for example, in my relationship with my wife, in making time available for spiritual disciplines and service, in my sexuality, in church-going, in my finances; the straighter he will make my paths. As I trust in and fear (in the healthy Biblical sense) the LORD in every aspect of my life, not relying on any wisdom which appears to come from what I see with my own in-a-mirror-dimly (1 Cor 13.12) eyes, while turning away from evil, it will be healing to my flesh and refreshment to my bones (Prov 3:5-8).

What, specifically, in Daily Prayer builds that trust in the LORD so I can lean less on my own understanding?  These, in Morning Prayer, for a start:
In the darkness of our sin,
your light breaks forth like the dawn
and your healing springs up for deliverance. (Opening Prayer of Thanksgiving)
Full of compassion and mercy and love
is God, the Most High, the Almighty.

Lord almighty and God of our ancestors, •
you who made heaven and earth in all their glory:
All things tremble with awe at your presence, •
before your great and mighty power.
Immeasurable and unsearchable is your promised mercy, •
for you are God, Most High.
You are full of compassion, long-suffering and very merciful, •
and you relent at human suffering.
O God, according to your great goodness, •
you have promised forgiveness for repentance
to those who have sinned against you. (From The Song of Manasseh)
And in Evening Prayer:
In the darkness of our sin you have shone in our hearts
to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God
in the face of Jesus Christ. (Opening Prayer of Thanksgiving)

He has mercy on those who fear him, •
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm •
and has scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones •
and lifting up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things •
and sent the rich away empty. (The Magnificat—The Song of Mary)
These excerpts provide a potent list of saving acts that God has done, is doing and will do. The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ is most worthy of our trust.

Gene+


No comments:

Post a Comment