Saturday 29 April 2006

Giddyup!

Jude and I are reading and very much enjoying CS Lewis (St Clive), The Business of Heaven: Daily Readings, ed. Walter Hooper, (Fount, 1984)...a treasure.

Tomorrow's reading (we read it early because we don't have time on Sunday mornings) is from his Miracles, chapter 16. It includes this:
These small perishable bodies we now have were given to us as ponies are given to schoolboys. We must learn to manage: not that we may some day be free of horses altogether but that some day we may ride bareback, confident and rejoicing, those greater mounts, those winged, shining and world-shaking horses which perhaps even now expect us with impatience, pawing and snorting in the King's stables. Not that the gallop would be of any value unless it were a gallop with the King; but how else - since He has retained His own charger - should we accompany Him?
How else, indeed.

My son, Anthony, wrote a song called Ride With You after the death of a friend. St Clive's "winged, shining and world-shaking horses" remind me of it. This is the chorus:
I wanna ride with You
On Your white horse with Your sword in hand
With Blazing eyes of fire
Lord, Son of Man, and Son of God
I wanna ride with You, Lord
(Complete lyrics. Listen to the song. )

My name is Gene and I'm a triumphalist. Jesus is my King. Giddyup!

No comments:

Post a Comment