- the sheer size of the place
- a toddler’s dress with an exquisitely embroidered bodice the size my grand-daughter would wear
- a beautiful but awful bolt of cloth made from human hair
- concrete sixty-hole latrines
- a brown leather suitcase, in a huge pile of suitcases, with the name and address of a 12 year old girl painted on it in white along with the sad, sad label: “Waisenkind,” orphan
- four-person punishment cells with standing room only and with a single air-vent the diameter of a small soup can...people suffocated in them
Lord, have mercy on us all.