Tuesday 16 October 2007

On Standing or Falling

Peter has blogged the good blog again over at The Age to Come; an early morning (1.56am!!!) clarion call to stand for Jesus and His church against this:
Then we come to my other world, that of the inclusive church. The church that has abolished sin, and hence the need for a saviour. A faith where Jesus is just a way, a metaphor and an example - and no more true than another way. The church that confirms us ‘just as we are’ - and leaves us that way.
What do we have here but false shepherds doing their best to undermine foundations, leaving behind them a creaking shed, so that when the waves come in and the wind blows the whole rotten edifice will crash down.
Read it all here.

I was reading about sheds like that in Luke 6.46-49 a week or so ago. "Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do what I tell you?" says Jesus. Then he says that everyone who
  1. comes to me

  2. hears my words

  3. does them
will be like the one who builds the house on the rock.

Creaking sheds that crash down happen because of those who hear His words but do not do them.

I hear some rather ominous creaking coming from the Anglican shed these days.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if this is why my Baptist forebears decided not to go hierarchical (ignoring, of course, the various "Conventions" that seem to have weight with individual congregations).

    Or, perhaps more relevantly, I wonder if this is why political anarchists want to get rid of hierarchy. No having other people making decisions for you.

    ReplyDelete