Tuesday 16 October 2007

Time Management and Avoiding Pastor Burnout

One of the problems I face as a pastor and priest is that my work is never done. I'm like a mother. Whenever I stop for the day, there is always more that could be done. There is always someone else who could do with a visit or a call; always a need. For me, to stop for the day, or to observe a Sabbath, is to say no to a bunch of needs.

The LORD helped me with this when I was first ordained by arranging that I be in my forties and more able, therefore, to withstand some of the pressures that might have swept my 25 year old self into full blown workaholism and burn out.

He also helped me by bringing my attention to Psalm 127 early in my ministry.
Unless the Lord builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.

It is in vain that you rise up early
and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives to his beloved sleep.
I realized that my parish was His to build. I am to work hard and do an honest day's work, but in the end, He must do the building. If my church was to grow because of 60+ hour weeks on my part that would be a false growing.

1 comment:

  1. The joys of posting to a date in the future :-) It was more like 11.30 in reality, still too late though.

    ReplyDelete