Monday 29 December 2008

A John Baillie Thought for the Fifth Day of Christmas

It's that lovely down time after the rush of Christmas preparation. Lot's of goodies to eat, family and gifts to enjoy. Time to read.

Scottish theologian, John Baillie, wrote this on the subject in his devotional classic, A Diary of Private Prayer (1936):
Leave me not, O gracious Presence, in such hours as I may today devote to the reading of books or of newspapers. Guide my mind to choose the right books and, having chosen them, to read them in the right way. When I read for profit, grant that all I read may lead me nearer to thyself. When I read for recreation, grant that what I read may not lead me away from thee. Let all my reading so refresh my mind that I may the more eagerly seek after whatsoever things are pure and fair and true. 
Amen.

Quoted in A Guide to Prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment