Wednesday 3 June 2009

Jesus, Country Music, Pink and Kristen McMullen

Jesus and Country Music

I've been listening the local country FM station (CHAT 94.5) recently. ???!!! I find I'm liking the sounds. I like lots of guitar. I also like hearing songs which include lines like:
she walks with Jesus.
…sung by Alan Jackson in Sissy's Song. The neat thing is, he appears to be sincere. The song was written for a funeral celebrating the life of a young woman he knew. Then, from the sublime to…and the very next song can be Shania Twain singing:
Who's bed have your boots been under?
That can be followed by Trace Adkins and:
but when I bow my head tonight
there'll be no me myself and I
just watch my wife and kids please lord
that's all I ask for any more
(from All I Ask For Anymore).

It's like the world I live in. A mixture of Jesus and real life including joy, sin, love and tragedy. Jesus and prayer don't seem to feature in the music mix on rock stations, at least not in a positive way. I like that about country music.

Pink but Not Pretty

And while I'm on the subject of musical contrast, Jawbone Hill does a cover of Pink's U and Ur Hand. The line that caught my attention is
I'm not here for your entertainment.
The song is not a pretty portrait of the young woman's lot in the bar scene (beware, there's language). Yet, that line would be the cry of many women, I suspect, and not just those being hit on and man-handled in bars. Then I checked out Pink's video for the song. Blimey!

Kristen McMullen

Contrast that with this. One final line; this one evocative and lovely:
I want to hold him in your arms
What a great image. This sung to the LORD about a guy by Christian artist, Kristen McMullen, in a lovely, poignant song, Ready. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gene and Jude
    Glad to see you are catching the "country" theme. The honesty of the music and the oft spiritual nature of the lyrics has long attracted me. I had the opportunity to see both Alan Jackson and Trace Adkins on the same bill here in London last November. Dave McEwen and I sing country songs in church on a regular basis and we'll be doing Sissy's Song on June 21st. If you want to hairs on the back of your neck to shiver, check out "I Believe" by Brooks and Dunn on Youtube. It's a powerful witness to how Jesus can touch lives in many ways. Blessings - Keith

    ReplyDelete