Friday 22 April 2011

Good Friday: the Women of Jerusalem and the Sound of the Cross


Good Friday was good. I think Maundy Thursday and Good Friday are my favourites in Holy Week. I like the quiet. Connects with the introvert in me. 

The Women of Jerusalem
My favourite station of the cross is The Women of Jerusalem. I love the way the women of the Altar Guild make it up with feminine things: flowers, a lace handkerchief. Anachronistic, I know, but…

Today, I read part of the Passion from Matthew in my president's welcome at the citywide morning service and I noticed how Matthew goes out of his way to state there were women present. Right after the centurion and his men were filled with awe and said, "Truly this was the Son of God!" (Mt 27:54) he writes: 
There were also many women there, looking on from a distance, who had followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering to him. (Mt 27:55)
Our Altar Guild ladies minister to him when they do the Women of Jerusalem station the way they do.

Meditation on the Cross
We asked a visitor to the church to bring the large, rough wooden cross into the nave and down the aisle just before we began the Meditation. The hollow sound of it dragging on the floor sticks in my mind. I remember reading a poem by Milton Acorn for a Canadian literature educational series I did in my TV days in which he described someone's life as being like a sled being dragged across gravel. Not a bad metaphor for the bit of Jesus' life we honour on Good Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment