Tuesday 12 July 2011

Why I Stay: a Response to Kate (and others who might be wondering)

My response to a challenge from Kate on this post where she asks why my "time, talents and money are still with the ACoC."

Time and Talents
Here is my—what? Rationale? Too strong a word, perhaps, it's more a heart-faith thing for me. I'm not sure I can defend it all that well. However, here goes:
  • I am not aware that the LORD has given me permission to leave my post
  • Radner's observation in Hope Among the Fragments seems to apply to me; i.e., we have two choices: go to Rome, or stay. Further splits are a problem for me. 
  • Jeremiah didn't leave…an example there
  • Jesus seems to suggest that both wheat and weeds ought to be allowed to grow together for now. I am uncomfortably aware of my own weediness should the weeds be gathered and burned at the moment.
  • I'd have to leave too many of the people I love and was called to serve at StB
  • to support my Bishop
All that said, I do not like the way in which some ACoC bishops and dioceses treat ANiC folk. The property grab (see my naughty doodle here) and use of secular courts is very unlovely. Do I find it comfortable in the ACoC? No. Do I think my staying will change its course? No. But following Jesus is not as much about my personal tastes and comfort as it is being obedient, nor is it as much about being effective and right as faithful. And this is where I've been put.

I have to confess I rather envy (sin, I know) the folk who have left. It sounds wonderful to be among like-minded people in a growing, tension free (or at least tension free-er) community.

Money
My tithe is due to the LORD through my local church. It seems to me that has little to do with whether I approve of what is done with the money or not. I don't always approve of the way my own congregation uses it. If folk further up the line misuse that money they will have to answer for that.

…and So?
Not very tidy or well reasoned, but that's about it. See here for a previous attempt at answering the same question based on some better reasoned arguments from smarter folk than me.

4 comments:

  1. Well said, Gene. If it were about rationale, how many of us would actually get ordained?

    I know I am where I am called to be. Responding to that call has been costly to me and my family. It's about our ability to be obedient, not our ability to reason.

    Somedays I feel like Abraham loading firewood onto Isaac's back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post Gene! Well put! In the process of "church shopping" here in Central Canada, we innocently wandered in to and became attached to a certain ANiC church that has recently been in the news. Having no emotional ties to the old building, I think the current facility arrangements will only do good things for the church. I was disappointed to see the ACoC response regarding using the courts, so have a grumpy spot for the local diocese. Was interesting sort of sitting on the sidelines watching the proceedings. It will also be interesting to see what happens with the old building. The ACoC has already created some controversy in the neighbourhood regarding once again using the basement of the building for a drop in centre that was there some years before.
    Anyway, would love to sit and chat over coffee some day on this one next time I am out in your area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gene! Much better said than my response to Kate. And thanks to Noel+ for sticking with it, and to Doug M for finding a place to worship the Lord in midst of all this controversy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gene, much of what you say I could say of myself. I am in my 29th year of ordained ministry, and the ACoC, locally, nationally, and in every diocese I have served in, has given me reasons to be disappointed or disaffected.
    However, God knew about all of this when I was placed by his sovereign hand in the Anglican Church of Canada in 1977.
    When the church I am in makes it impossible to be a faithful servant, then I'd have to ask God to show me another door. Until I get those marching orders, I stay.
    A Biblical perspective on this is to be a Jew, born into Israel. What were the options for say, Jeremiah? Since becoming a Babylonian wouldn't work, was there some other denominational branch of Israel he could join? Or was it God's plan for him to stay, and despite the personal cost, proclaim the message, in season and out of season?
    Its not so much that I choose to stay or go, its more about being rooted in God where I am planted by him. Trees can't uproot themselves. And the final test of whether I have been faithful where he has put me is, once again, decided by God. There is only one to whom I must answer in the end.
    Once all this is more or less decided within my own will, then I can stop worrying about whether another part of the vineyard is better, and get on with being fruit bearing where I am.
    And none of what I say is a comment on what others have decided. Just a couple of weeks ago Susan and I attended an Anglican (not Episcopal) church in Minneapolis. It was very warm, a great place to be, and free of even a whiff of ecclesial politics. Bless them. And may the Lord bless each of us where he has posted us.
    P.S. We need to be in touch soon about our planned parish mission here with you.
    Kim Salo

    ReplyDelete