Tuesday 29 November 2011

Some Advent Watching

Jesus said "Watch!" in Sunday's Gospel so I'm watching.

ON WATCH WITH A NEW LECTIONARY
I've really enjoyed the St James Devotional Guide for the last few years. A perfect lectionary, but it costs. So I decided I'd go back to the Daily Office Lectionary in Book of Alternative Services this Advent. It fits my routine. Three lessons in the morning which aren't too long but which will get me through the Bible (sort of, as you will see) in a couple of years. My pattern is to do that kind of reading in the morning so Evening Prayer is free for the Sunday coming up lessons.

Image my frustration when only the third (the THIRD) day in, they've already cut a chapter out! No 2 Peter 2! To protect me, I presume, from any unpleasantness like false teachers and heresies. And lest I be enticed by the lustful desires (swoon!) of sinful human nature.

And, no, I don't buy the argument that it's not suitable for public worship. Isn't that precisely the kind of thing I'm supposed to watch for and avoid? How can I watch out for it and recognize it when I never get to read about what it looks like? Grumble.

A LOVELY ADVENT THING TO WATCH
On the brighter side of watching, this:



From God'sOwn, of course (New Zealand). Beautifully done. A joy to watch. H/T Richard Beck over at Experimental Theology.

Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gene - that is absolutely delightful! Those Kiwis know how to celebrate Christmas eh? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete